Ann Barker-Griffith MD
SUNY Upstate, Ophthalmology
Current Position: Interim Chair & Professor of Ophthalmology, Director, Eye Pathology Laboratory & Professor of Pathology
Keywords Research Areas: eye pathology; glaucoma, electron microscopy, vitreous anatomy
- Glaucoma and Optic Neuropathies
Synopsis Of Research:
Research is continuing on the "Preparation and Imaging of Biological Tissues: An Electron Microscopic Study". Essential to this research has been the ongoing collection, storage and dissection of Eye Bank Donor eyes, especially those from young donors to allow for study of the vitreous by scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Limited studies have been reported previously on this area of research, essential to understanding and finding solutions for the macular ridge in Shaken Baby Syndrome findings. Secondly, we investigated the characteristics of Schwalbe's line by scanning electron microscopy. Statistically significant is a wider superior temporal smooth zone of Schwalbe's line in adults with confirmation using optical coherence tomography in both time and spectral domain. The smooth zone and trabecular width in animal eyes such as monkey, pig, dog, rabbit and cow are now being processed with data collection underway. Future plans for Eye Pathology are to remain in the current laboratory room space of Room 2137 and 2137-A in Weiskotten Hall to continue SEM research, to process Eye Pathology specimens and to teach Eye Pathology to medical students and residents.
Current Or Representative Publications:
- Breazzano MP, Fikhman M, Abraham JL, Barker-Griffith, AE: Analysis of Schwalbe's line (smooth zone) by scanning microscopy and optical coherence tomography in human eye bank eyes. J Ophthalmic Vis Res. 2013 Jan;8(1):9-16.
- Geneva II, Eagle RC, Barker-Griffith A, Stefanyszyn M, Weisenthal RW: "Squamous metaplasia of the conjunctivae - a previously unrecognized side effect of Actonel." JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Feb;131(2):249-51.
- Barker-Griffith, AE, Goldberg, J*, Abraham, JL: "Eye Pathology and Gadolinium Deposition in Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis", Arch Ophthalmol. Vol. 129 (No. 5): 661-663, May, 2011.
- Barker-Griffith, AE, Streeten, BW, Fikhman,* M, Gutman,* J: "The Ciliary Body", in Duane's Foundations of Clinical Ophthalmology, eds. W. Tasman and E.A. Jaeger, Vol. I. Chap. 13, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2011.
- Barker-Griffith, AE, Streeten, BW, Charles, NC: "Moll Gland Neoplasms of the Eyelid", Arch Ophthalmol. 2006; 124:1645-1649.