Alexandra Benavente-Perez MCOptom MS PhD
SUNY Optometry, Department of Vision Sciences
Current Position: Assistant Clinical Professor
Keywords Research Areas: refractive error development, myopia, emmetropization, peripheral refraction, ocular blood flow, vascular autoregulation, choroidal thickness measured using OCT
- Collaborative Clinical and Epidemiological Research/Clinical Trials
- Glaucoma and Optic Neuropathies
- Myopia and Other Refractive Errors
- Retinal Diseases
- Astigmatism/Refractive Errors
- Vascular Diseases
Synopsis Of Research:
My main interests are emmetropization, the active visual control of eye growth, and the role of peripheral refraction in the development of refractive error and myopia. In the lines of emmetropization, I am also very interested in understanding the interactions between ocular biometry and vascular physiology.
Current Or Representative Publications:
- Mroczkowska S, Benavente-Perez A, Negi A, Sung V, Patel S, Gherghel A. Primary Open Angle Glaucoma and Normal Tension Glaucoma: two separate diseases or one continuous entity? The vascular perspective. Arch Ophthalmol (accepted June 2012).
- Mroczkowska S, Ekart A, Sung V, Negi A, Qin L, Patel S, Jacobs S, Atkins C, Benavente-Perez A, Gherghel A. Coexistence of Macro- and Micro-vascular Abnormalities in Newly Diagnosed Normal Tension Glaucoma Patients. Arch Ophthalmol (accepted May 2012).
- Benavente-Perez A, Hosking SL, Logan NS, Bansal D (2010) Reproducibility-Repeatability of Choroidal Thickness Calculation Using OCT. Optom Vis Sci. 87(11):867-72.
- Benavente-Perez A, Hosking SL, Logan NS, Broadway DC (2010) Ocular Blood Flow Measurements In Healthy Human Myopic Eyes. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248(11):1587-94.
- Conway M, Wevil M, Benavente-Perez A, Hosking SL (2010) Ocular Blood Flow Heamodynamics before and after application of Laser in Situ Keratomileusis Ring. J Cataract Refract Surg. 36(2):268-272.