Jacob (Jack) Aranda MD, PhD, FRCPC, FAAP
SUNY Downstate, Neonatology
Current Position: Professor of Pediatrics and Director of Neonatology
Keywords Research Areas: Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Collaborative Clinical and Epidemiological Research/Clinical Trials
- Retinal Diseases
- Retinal Neuroscience
Synopsis Of Research:
Current research focuses on the molecular and clinical pharmacology of retinopathy of pretermaturity (ROP). We seek to identify key molecular foci which can be targeted for pharmacologic intervention inorder to prevent ROP and a lifetime of blindness. We are developing ocular and systemic drug therapies including caffeine, topical ocular NSAIDs and other drugs to prevent ROP. Our laboratories are studying the role of these drugs on retinal growth factors (VEGF, IGF-1 etc) and molecular signaling. We plan to translate these studies to the premature newborn at risk for ROP. We also continue our ongoing work on development of drugs and therapies targeted for newborn morbidities.
Current Or Representative Publications:
- Fordjour L, D'Souza A, Cai C, Ahmad A, Valencia G, Kumar D, Aranda JV, Beharry KD. Comparative effects of probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics on growth factors in the large bowel in a rat model of formula-induced bowel inflammation.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010 Oct;51(4):507-13.
- D'Souza A, Fordjour L, Ahmad A, Cai C, Kumar D, Valencia G, Aranda JV, Beharry KD. Effects of probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics on messenger RNA expression of caveolin-1, NOS, and genes regulating oxidative stress in the terminal ileum of formula-fed neonatal rats.Pediatr Res. 2010 May;67(5):526-31.
- Aranda JV, Clyman R, Cox B, Van Overmeire B, Wozniak P, Sosenko I, Carlo WA, Ward RM, Shalwitz R, Baggs G, Seth A, Darko L. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial on intravenous ibuprofen L-lysine for the early closure of nonsymptomatic patent ductus arteriosus within 72 hours of birth in extremely low-birth-weight infants. Am J Perinatol. 2009 Mar;26(3):235-45. Epub 2008 Dec 9. Pediatrics. 2008 Feb;121(2):326-36.
- Natarajan G, Botica ML, Thomas R, Aranda JV. Therapeutic drug monitoring for caffeine in preterm neonates: an unnecessary exercise? Pediatrics. 2007 May;119(5):936-40.
- Beharry KD, Modanlou HD, Hasan J, Gharraee Z, Abad-Santos P, Sills JH, Jan A, Nageotte S, Aranda JV. Comparative effects of early postnatal ibuprofen and indomethacin on VEGF, IGF-I, and GH during rat ocular development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006 Jul;47(7):3036-43.